Saturday, September 25, 2010

African Violet Resuscitation

Last winter I noticed that my african violet appeared droopy and wilted, after two years of terrific growth and lovely flowers. After some research on the web, I found this: "Root and crown rot caused by the fungus Pythium ultimum may occur on overwatered plants. Plants of all ages can be affected. The crown and roots of these infected plants turn dark and soft and the leaves usually wilt. Infected plants can be lifted easily from the soil. This disease is not a problem when plants are grown in a pasteurized soil mixture in a container that allows for proper drainage. Destroy badly diseased plants, and thoroughly clean and disinfect their containers before reuse. Highly prized plants can sometimes be saved if the crown is not badly decayed. Remove the rotted portion of the crown well above the line of decay and reroot the plant in sterile medium."
This plant is in a pot that only wicks water to the soil through the unglazed pot that the plant sits in from the glazed and water-filled pot below. However, I may have tried to "help" get food to the roots by watering it in directly...D'Oh! I decided to try and save it, so I emptied the pot and gently removed most of the old soil.

I re-potted using this special african violet soil I'd purchased awhile back. I'm not really that keen on soil with added fertilizer, but houseplants do need all the help they can get in my care (I tend to forget to feed them...at all. Ever.)
As you see in this image taken just yesterday-it worked!

Standing tall and looking strong! I didn't put it out for the summer this year like usual, I felt it was still "healing" and didn't want to impede any progress. But after a season of rest (and regular feedings), this resilient beauty has lived to bloom another day. Just goes to show that you don't have to give up until the last leaf turns brown!

No comments: